The NRA surveyed 1,834 members of the American Culinary Federation (all professional chefs) to come up with the following list:
1. Locally sourced meats and seafood
2. Locally grown produce
3. Healthful kids' meals
4. Environmental sustainability as a culinary theme
5. Children's nutrition as a culinary theme
6. New cuts of meat (e.g. Denver steak, pork flat iron, teres major)
7. Hyper-local sourcing (e.g. restaurant gardens)
8. Gluten-free cuisine
9. Sustainable seafood
10. Whole grain items in kids' meals
“We have seen an increasing interest in health and nutrition among consumers over the last several years, and that interest is also extended to children’s menus”, said Joy Dubost, Ph.D, R.D., director of Nutrition & Healthy Living for the association.
What’s hot behind the bar?
The NRA’s What’s Hot bartender survey, meanwhile, predicts the following top 10 drink menu trends for 2013 based on a survey of 195 United States Bartenders’ Guild members.
1. Onsite barrel-aged drinks
2. Food-liquor/cocktail pairings
3. Culinary cocktails (e.g. savory, fresh ingredients)
4. Micro-distilled/artisan liquor
5. Locally produced spirits
6. Locally sourced fruit/berries/produce
7. Beer sommeliers/Cicerones
8. Regional signature cocktails
9. Beer-based cocktails
10. Locally produced beer
For complete What’s Hot in 2013 survey results, click here.