The score is measured through Instantly’s platform, which gathers insights from target consumers (category shoppers) who are polled via mobile devices at home and in-store, where they are shown a photo and a detailed description of a new product and answer questions about purchase intent, differentiation, need/desire and value.
Instantly has access to an army of more than 350,000 primary grocery shoppers across the United States and 55,000+ in the UK, who have downloaded its app to their smartphones and agreed to participate in real-time market research tasks when they go shopping in return for small instant cash incentives and gift cards.
When they spot a new product, they scan the barcode, upload photos of it on shelf (which show where it is positioned vs competitor products plus the price tag) and answer multiple choice questions such as: How likely are you to buy this product in the next 30 days based on the price it’s being sold for here?
The app also asks consumers whether they regularly shop the category in question.
The top 10 products ranked by purchase intent in July were:
- Reese's snack mix: 79%
- Jif peanut butter & chocolate bars: 68%
- Clif Bar berry pomegranate chia: 63%
- Popsicle tootsie pops: 62%
- Chobani Flip strawberry crisp (limited edition): 59%
- Doritos Dinamita Mojo Criollo flavored rolled tortilla chips: 57%
- Campbell's organic chicken tortilla soup: 55%
- Post rainbow sherbert ice cream Pebbles 52%
- Lemon twist Oreos (limited edition): 41%
- Kellogg's Origins fruit & seed muesli: 47%