The score is measured through Instantly’s platform, which gathers insights from consumers who are polled via mobile devices at home and in-store, where they are shown a photo and a detailed description of a new product and answer questions about purchase intent, differentiation, need/desire and value.
Instantly has access to an army of more than 350,000 primary grocery shoppers across the United States and 55,000+ in the UK, who have downloaded its app to their smartphones and agreed to participate in real-time market research tasks when they go shopping in return for small instant cash incentives and gift cards.
When they spot a new product, they scan the barcode, upload photos of it on shelf (which show where it is positioned vs competitor products plus the price tag) and answer multiple choice questions such as: How likely are you to buy this product in the next 30 days based on the price it’s being sold for here?
The app also asks consumers whether they regularly shop the category in question.
The top 10 products ranked by purchase intent in November were:
- Dove Promises, peanut butter & dark chocolate: 75%
- Hershey's Kisses Deluxe chocolates: 73%
- Crackerjack holiday sugar cookie popcorn: 62%
- Pringles bourbon barbecue chicken: 58%
- Special K chocolatey dipped mint protein meal bars: 57%
- Emerald sriracha cashews: 57%
- Starkist new salmon creations, lemon dill: 55%
- Ben & Jerry's salted caramel Brown-ie Ale ice cream (limited batach): 54%
- Angie's BoomChickaPop white chocolate peppermint 'Holidrizzle' kettle corn: 54%
- Follow Your Heart VeganEgg: 46%