With the new launches Ganeden has placed its ingredient into more than 80 food products, said Mike Bush, Ganeden’s vice president.
Ganeden’s ingredient differs from most probiotic organisms in that it forms spores when dormant, making it shelf stable and highly robust under most processing and storage conditions. Product applications range from frozen products all the way up to baked goods, Bush said.
“We are basically everywhere except in shelf stable beverages,” Bush told FoodNavigator-USA.
“Consumers get (the message of) probiotics. Our mission is to get probiotics into products that people use on an everyday basis. Breakfast is obviously one of the most habitual meals every day and is one of our target markets,” he said.
Ganeden started into the food realm with a self affirmed GRAS status on its ingredient in January, 2008, and accelerated after obtaining an FDA no objection letter in mid 2012. It subsequently sold the supplements side of the BC30 business to Schiff Nutrition, now part of British multinational food company Reckitt Benckiser.
Launches in yogurt, coffee
The new launches that feature GanedenBC30 are:
PreGel Happy Yo Super Sprint: a complete, instant mix for the creation of frozen yogurt that features the company’s tart Yoggi 30 flavoring along with the BC30 probiotic.
- TapOut All-In-One: an All-In-One meal replacement mix.
- Six Star Instant Protein Smoothie: An all-in-one vegan-based smoothie formula featuring protein, fiber, vitamin C and BC30.
- BarnDad’s RISE Original Instant Green Coffee with Probiotics: A premium Colombian coffee blend that contains 500mg of Green Coffee Extract (GCE) and BC30.
- Copper Moon Probiotic Instant Coffee: Single serve stick packs in Colombian and French Vanilla varieties.
- Fizz Sparkling Probiotic Lemonade: Certified organic and containing 1 billion probiotic CFUs in every bottle, FIZZ Sparkling Probiotic Lemonade available in six flavors.
Bush said a big reason for the ingredient’s success is the company’s insistence on efficacious doses in finished products.
"We don’t pixie dust. Our partners sign a purchase and license agreement. WE have a style guide that says if you are going to make such-and-such claim, you have to use a certain amount (of our ingredient). Our goal is always to assure that consumer is going to get an efficacous dose,” he said.
This results in a good consumer experience and keeps formulation customers coming back for more, Bush said.
“Repeat purchases have always been good for GanedenBC30 products,” Bush said.
And Bush said the momentum continues to build behind the ingredient and its health benefits.
“We’ve got a couple of new formats that we will launch later in this year. We’ve got a dozen or so new launches that are queued up,” he said.