The score is measured through Instantly’s platform which gathers insights from target consumers (category shoppers) who are polled via mobile devices at home and in-store, where they are shown a photo and a detailed description of a new product and answer questions about purchase intent, differentiation, need/desire and value.
Instantly has access to an army of more than 350,000 primary grocery shoppers across the United States (c.62% are women) and 55,000+ in the UK, who have downloaded its app to their smartphones and agreed to participate in real-time market research tasks when they go shopping in return for small instant cash incentives and gift cards.
When they spot a new product, they scan the barcode, upload photos of it on shelf (which show where it is positioned vs competitor products plus the price tag) and answer multiple choice questions such as: How likely are you to buy this product in the next 30 days based on the price it’s being sold for here?
Alternatively they may be asked to what extent they agree or disagree with statements such as:
- This product will replace a product that I usually buy.
- It makes sense that this brand launched this product.
- This product meets a consumer need that other products don’t.
The app also asks consumers whether they regularly shop the category in question.
The top 10 products ranked by purchase intent in April were:
- Cheez-It Grooves Original Cheddar: 75%
- Goldfish Grahams Honey: 70%
- Clif Bar Nuts & Seeds: 61%
- Sweet & Spicy Chipotle Wheat Thins: 57%
- Lunchables with 100% Juice, Turkey and Cheddar Sub Sandwich: 55%
- Doritos Salsa Verde: 54%
- Oscar Mayer Southwest Style Chipotle Dogs: 51%
- Canada Dry Blackberry Ginger Ale: 51%
- Cotton Candy Oreos: 49%
- Pringles Wasabi and Soy Sauce 41%