Argentina makes ‘important step’ in beef trade after US re-opening

By Ashley Williams

- Last updated on GMT

Argentine beef will be available in the US for the first time in 17 years
Argentine beef will be available in the US for the first time in 17 years

Related tags Beef

Argentina’s government has revealed that the re-opening of its beef trade to the US will offer new “commercial opportunities” for its producers and exporters.

It was announced this week that the South American country would resume exporting bovine meat to the US for the first time in 17 years. It was previously banned from doing so due to the presence of foot-and-mouth disease.

Following negotiations with the National Service of Health and Agri-Food Quality (Senasa), the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) deemed that there was an appropriate level of sanitary protection for Argentine bovine meat.

Claiming to be free from the disease since 2007, Argentina will now export around 20,000 tonnes of bovine to the US every year, which will represent around US$150m-US$180m in value.

The Argentinian government estimates that 80% of its products would be used for lean meat, which is driving US demand in the production of hamburgers, while the remaining 20% would be used for high-quality cuts.

Argentina’s secretary of agribusiness Luis Miguel Etchevehere paid tribute to the Argentine and US officials who contributed to this “milestone​” occasion.

I am satisfied at having managed to take this important step for our country following an effective and coordinated work by health agencies, agricultural bodies and embassies, strengthening reciprocal trust to continue working on our bilateral agenda​,” said Etchevehere.

Argentina has enjoyed a successful year for its bovine sector​ after experiencing a significant growth in exports during the first quarter of this year.

The South American country also revealed this week​ that its bovine genetics would make their debut in the Pakistan market after agreeing a deal with the Pakistani authorities.

Related topics Meat

Related news

Show more

Follow us


View more