An analysis of burger orders from GrubHub’s database of 20,000+ restaurants in more than 500 US cities also revealed that women are 30% more likely to order turkey burgers than men.
However, overall, men are 16% more likely to order burgers than women.
Bacon features on a third of all burgers ordered
Burgers appear on roughly 38% of restaurant menus, but make up more than 6% of all orders processed through GrubHub, said the firm, which said bacon now features on a third of all burgers ordered.
As to burger types, while beef burgers still reign supreme, accounting for three quarters of all burgers ordered, other burgers are gaining ground, with Turkey burgers at 6%, veggie burgers at almost 4%, chicken burgers at more than 1% and bison burgers at almost 1%.
18% of GrubHub orders in Fayetteville, NC, feature burgers vs just 4% in Boston and 5% in LA
As to who likes burgers the most, GrubHub data suggests that the good people of Fayetteville, North Carolina, are the biggest fans, with 18% of all orders featuring a burger, followed by Virginia Beach, CA, where 14% of all orders include a burger, Fort Worth, TX, where 13% of orders include a burger.
Meanwhile, residents of New York City are some way down the rankings, with 8% of orders including a burger, followed by Chicago at 7%, Los Angeles and Philadelphia at 5% and Boston at just 4%.
Other insights include….
Cheese types by popularity on burgers (where cheese type is specified):
- Cheddar featured on 35% of burgers
- American featured on 28% of burgers
- Swiss featured on 9% of burgers
- Mozzarella featured on 6% of burgers
- Pepper-Jack featured on 5-6% of burgers
Bun types by popularity for burgers (where bun type is specified):
- Brioche is used for 16% of burgers
- Wheat is used for 16% of burgers
- Pretzel is used for 12% of burgers
- Kaiser is used for 8% of burgers
- Sesame is used for 7% of burgers
How do you take your burger?
- 28% of burgers have lettuce
- 23-24% of burgers have tomato
- 17% of burgers have pickles
- 14% of burgers have onion (not grilled, fried or sautéed)
- 6% of burgers have avocado
Burger condiments by popularity:
- 17% of burgers are ordered with ketchup
- 16% of burgers are ordered with mayo
- 10% of burgers are ordered with mustard
- 3% of burgers are ordered with BBQ sauce
- 1% of burgers are ordered with guacamole
Click here to get GrubHub's insights into fruit-related orders.