We're bringing together food brands, trend-watchers, attorneys and dietitians to explore what natural and clean label means in 2019, and how brands can meet consumer expectations, today in the FREE-to-view FoodNavigator-USA LIVE online event: Natural and clean label trends, starting at 9.30am Pacific time.
A must-attend event for anyone in food and beverage formulation, marketing and branding, regulatory or labeling functions, Natural and clean label trends will explore what consumers are looking for on food labels, whether they apply the same rules to all brands and products (spoiler alert – they don’t) and whether the word ‘natural’ still has value and meaning.
The program includes the following sessions:
12:30-1.30pm EST: How clean is your label?
What do consumers understand by terms such as ‘clean’ eating and ‘natural,’ where is the trend going next? Is clean label a point of difference anymore or just expected by today’s consumers, and how do expectations vary by brand and category?
In this panel debate, moderated by FoodNavigator-USA editor Elaine Watson, we’ll discuss:
- What does ‘clean label’ mean today, and are definitions of clean-label moving beyond the ingredients list to cover incidental additives and processing aids, production methods, animal rearing standards, and pesticide residues? If so, what does this mean for formulators and does it open up brands to more false advertising lawsuits? How can brands reduce their risk?
- Will ‘glyphosate-free’ claims take off, and could Non-GMO turn into a minefield as the new GMO labeling rules roll out?
- What cues for ‘natural’ are consumers looking for on pack and will the FDA finally weigh in this year?
- Are ingredients that were once thought of as clean label or natural such as stevia and natural flavors still considered so by so-called ‘progressive’ consumers?
- Are consumers confusing ‘clean’ with ‘healthy’?
- Is there a trend away from fortification in a bid to shorten and clean up labels?
- What will the clean label trend mean for food supply chains in the future?
- Do shoppers understand the difference between natural and organic (and where does non-GMO fit in), and is regenerative agriculture the next big claim on pack?
Speakers: Shelley Balanko, PhD, Hartman Group; Jenna Bell, PhD, RD, Pollock Communications; Rachel Cheatham, PhD, Foodscape Group; Angel Garganta, Esq. Venable LLP.
1:30-2.15pm EST: The move to simple: Standing out in a clean label world
This webinar addresses the latest consumer insights and what product developers should consider as they reformulate for labels that prompt initial purchase and eating experiences that inspire product loyalty. We’ll include a deep dive into soups and frozen meals to show you what’s possible, answering the following questions along the way:
- What front-of-pack claims stand out today?
- What ingredients do consumers perceive to be “healthier”?
- Where’s the real opportunity to innovate?
- What do you need to consider to go from clean to simple labels?
- How can you get the functionality and performance you need?
- Join insight and technical experts from Ingredion, the pioneer in clean and simple for more than two decades and see how your products can win hearts and minds in a clean label world.
Speakers: Pat O’Brien, Sharon Chittkusol, Jinat Mansuri, Ingredion.
2:15-3pm EST: The complicated clamor for simple yet tasty
Join marketing and innovation application experts from DuPont Nutrition & Health as they share research from more than 2,500 U.S. consumers. You’ll also be able to explore new ingredient technologies to help you meet the needs of clean label consumers.
Speakers: Tracy Mosteller, Mark Cornthwaite, DuPont Nutrition & Health.
3.00-3.45pm EST: Clean Label 101. Protect brands and meet label claims
Join us as we review the impact oxidation has on shelf life and introduce a line of plant-based alternatives to TBHQ, helping manufacturers meet consumer demand for clean label food products.
Speakers: Courtney Schwartz, Chandra Ankolekar, Ph.D., Kemin Industries.
3:45-4.45pm EST: Clean label 4.0: How are brands delivering on evolving consumer demands for natural products?
During this panel discussion led by FoodNavigator-USA’s deputy editor Elizabeth Crawford with Q&A from attendees at the end, we will hear from industry leaders how their companies keeping pace with consumers’ evolving demands around clean and natural. We will also look at the influence of organic and regenerative farming techniques on natural consumers’ purchasing decisions, and how innovative manufacturing techniques continue to reshape consumer expectations around taste, presentation and shelf life of natural products.
Speakers: Katlin Smith, Simple Mills; Daniele Bianchini, Otis Spunkmeyer; Christine Day, Luvo, Ali Kelley, Annie’s; Dr. Errol Raghubeer, JBT/Avure Technologies.
Click HERE for more details about the event, which is sponsored by Ingredion, DuPont Nutrition & Health, and Kemin, and supported by Cargill, herbafood and Farbest Brands.